Facts about colorectal cancer: *
- 1 in 20The overall lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer.
- 1 in 5Those diagnosed with colorectal cancer who have a family member also affected by the disease.
- More Than 1,000,000The number of colorectal cancer survivors in the U.S.
The good news?
Screening and early detection save lives. Over the past 20 years, the death rate from colorectal cancer has been dropping. Likely reasons for this include polyps being found during screenings and removed and cancers found earlier when the disease is easier to cure.
North Shore-LIJ Cancer Institute offers a multidisciplinary team of colorectal cancer experts and a range of screening, diagnosis and treatment options. Our colorectal cancer specialists are conveniently located on Long Island and Staten Island. Learn more or make an appointment at 1-855-858-8550.*According to the American Cancer Society.
Learn about your risk factors and bring these results to your next doctor’s appointment to discuss with your physician.Take Our FREE Health Risk Assessment Who should take this assessment:
- People age 20-89: To receive risk factors.
- People age 50-85: To receive risk factors and lifetime risk calculation.
- Note: People previously diagnosed with colorectal cancer should not take this assessment and instead speak with their physician about risk.